Our Place is a partnership between Cheshire West and Chester Council and local strategic partners (including the Police, Fire Service, Health Service and local community and faith groups) with the aim of listening to the residents of Ellesmere Port and improving services to make a difference in its neighbourhoods.
The following 10 neighbourhoods are located in Ellesmere Port:
- Great Sutton
- Little Sutton
Residents have identified a number of issues that need addressing and Our Place is currently working on improving the services the public receives in relation to:
- improved environmental maintenance
- tackling anti-social behaviour
- lifting the lid on domestic abuse
- removing the barriers to employment
- improving education and training opportunities for all
- increasing proactive health and lifestyle choices
- reducing teen pregnancies
- identifying ways to provide the best start in life
- tackling poverty, fuel poverty and reducing loan sharks
- supporting young people and children to achieve their aspirations.
Working closely with residents, Our Place is committed to providing residents with a real say about what the true priorities are within each neighbourhood and how the delivery of services should reflect local issues and not always town-wide priorities.
Local ward members play a vital part at Our Place, as the real community champions they understand what’s actually happening in the neighbourhoods and have an important role as they are involved in many of the decision-making processes. Our Place works very closely with both internal and external partners, local schools, businesses and employers as well as the voluntary and faith sectors.
With localism high on the government’s agenda, Our Place is looking at ways to invest in its community members, and boost individual and group confidence and capacity so the community representatives feel comfortable putting forward the local people’s views. In future years many local decisions will start devolving down to communities, which is why it is important that Our Place prepares Ellesmere Port to take this new process forward.
Neighbourhood action groups have been created and these groups are growing in strength and numbers. Many successes have already been achieved, including the enhanced delivery of services, physical improvements to community facilities and neighbourhoods, improving area identity by branding neighbourhoods and in some cases life changing opportunities have been created such as training, skills, employment, health and welfare.
For more information about Our Place you can contact the team -
- Telephone: 0151 356 6450
- Visit: Our Place Market Stall at the Ellesmere Port Indoor Market, which is open every day except Wednesday.