Blue-green algae warning at Budworth Mere
17 August 2012
Cheshire West and Chester Council today (Friday) warned dog owners to avoid walking their pets near Budworth Mere at Marbury Park, Northwich.
Routine water testing carried out by the Environment Agency discovered levels of potentially toxic blue-green algae, 20 times higher than normal for this time of year.
The toxins produce by algae are poisonous to animals and can cause severe illness and death.
If ingested, the algae can also be harmful to humans resulting in effects including vomiting, diarrhoea and fever pains in muscles and joints.
The Council’s Green Space Rangers were today erecting warning notices along the banks of the Mere.
Whilst the Mere has developed the blue-green algal bloom annually for several years, it is believed that the current high concentration is due to the abnormal summer weather conditions.
Any members of the public wanting further information should contact the Council’s Green Space Rangers on 01606 77741.