Talking West Cheshire

Noisy neighbours ordered to pay more than £700

30 April 2012

A brother and sister from Northwich who persistently ignored warnings about their noisy late-night parties have been ordered to pay a combined total of £705.

People living near to Paul and Lauren Beedles’ house in Edward Street, Rudheath, frequently had to put up with loud music, shouting and screaming in the early hours.

The pair continued to host parties despite several warnings from Cheshire West and Chester Council’s Environmental Health officers, who conducted a lengthy investigation into the case.

Officers obtained a warrant to enter the property on 3 February and seized noise-making equipment including two stereos, two televisions, a games console and assorted DVDs and CDs.

The pair were found guilty of two offences each relating to a breach of a noise abatement notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 at Chester Magistrates Court last Thursday (26 April).

They did not attend the hearing and the case was proven in their absence. They attended court for sentencing.

Lauren Beedles, 19, was fined £175 and ordered to pay £300 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Paul Beedles, 22, was fined £50 with £150 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

The Judge also ordered forfeiture of all the equipment seized by the officers.

Passing sentence, the Judge told the defendants: “Noise causes a considerable amount of distress.”

Councillor Lynn Riley, Executive Member for Community and Environment, said: “The Council received almost 1,700 noise complaints last year.

“Wherever possible we seek to resolve these informally by working with the parties involved.

“Unfortunately, the lack of co-operation and repeated anti-social behaviour shown by the defendants in this case left us with no option but to seize their noise-making equipment and bring them before the courts.

“This case shows that we will not hesitate to use our formal powers where people persistently cause noise nuisance.

“I am pleased that the people living near to the defendants in this case now have some much-needed respite.”