Four days of celebration for the Paralympic Flame
30 July 2012
There will be four days of celebration across West Cheshire to mark the London 2012 Paralympic Torch Relay.
Events are planned in Ellesmere Port, Chester, Winsford and
In Ellesmere Port the town’s Paralympic Flame Celebration is one of four events to be held in the North West.
Josh Dunn, a student at West Cheshire College and professional wheelchair basketball player, will start the celebrations by travelling to London on Friday 24 August as the town’s Flame Ambassador.
Josh will collect the Flame from the English Flame Lighting Ceremony in Trafalgar Square before bringing it back to Ellesmere Port.
Events over the weekend:
Saturday 25 August
- 10.30am: Flame Procession (stage one) starts from Sainsbury’s Car Park at Cheshire Oaks with nominated Flamebearers carrying the flame along Stanney Lane to EPIC Leisure Centre
- 11.30am -12.30pm: EPIC Leisure Centre will host an event with the Flame including a swimming demonstration; disability cycling and disability football
- 12.45pm: Flame Procession (stage two) starts from West Cheshire College entrance to main College building
- 1pm - 4pm: Main Flame Celebration Event at West Cheshire College, events include fencing demonstration by wheelchair fencer Adrian Derbyshire; performances by IndepenDance, Cheshire Dance and Samba Drumming; accessible cycling; Activate Arts; Boccia and Netball demonstrations provided by Ellesmere Port and Neston Special Olympics Branch Athletes; The Celtic Warriors versus Wolverhampton Rhinos wheelchair basketball; Mascot Race. Plus bouncy castle, face painting and a special guest from Chester Zoo.
Sunday 26 August
- 10.30am - 1pm: The Flame will visit the Northwich Festival
- 1.30pm - 4.30pm: The National Waterways Museum in Ellesmere Port will host the Flame with a 100th birthday party for Worcester - an historic narrow boat. The Flame will arrive and depart by boat from the bridge on Wirral Community Narrowboat.
Monday 27 August
- 10.30am - 4pm: The Flame will arrive by boat at Chester Zoo and will be on display in the Diamond Jubilee Quarter for visitors to view and have photos taken.
Tuesday 28 August
- 12.45pm: The Flame will visit Winsford travelling from the Cheshire police headquarters to The Neuromuscular Centre for a family fun day.
Councillor Stuart Parker, Executive Member for Culture and Recreation, said: “We are delighted to be hosting the Flame Celebration events as a prelude to the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
“The celebrations across the borough including a Flame Procession into Ellesmere Port, will ensure that we remain firmly connected to events in London showcasing our local inclusive sport and cultural activities.”
Sara Mogel, Principal of West Cheshire College, said: “We are delighted to host the main Flame Celebration event here at the College. It will be a fantastic day for everyone in the community to enjoy from demonstrations of Paralympic sports, through to dance performances and lots of family fun.”
The Flame Celebration event at West Cheshire College is supported by Community Games, City and Guilds, Plus Dane Group and Pearson Work Based Learning. For more information on regarding events over the August Bank Holiday visit the Embrace the Games website.
For further information visit the London 2012 Paralympic Torch Relay website.